Translate

1st Intro

20/11/2022

Why?

A Pupil Once Said

 

I remember once, early in the morning as I was waiting for my students to come to class at my Iraqi Air Force Training School where I taught 

English, a lovable chap approached me.  At first, I was startled, for I had been deep in thought while gazing out of my classroom window which, temporarily, had an oxymoronic feel to it: on the one hand, it allowed me to be in a trance of wonderment at how my life had taken a twist of fate; on the other hand, though, the window itself was barred and covered with wired mesh – a prison effect.   The two essences somehow clashed.  Nevertheless, my pupil brought me back from wherever it was that I had gone in thought.  He immediate commented to me after observing my look, “Teacher you look sad.  Why, teacher?”  I really didn’t know what to say to him.  I replied with the first thing that came to mind, “My life has changed since coming here to Iraq.  I think I’ve lost much.”  “Let me show you something,” he responded.  He took a piece of paper and pencil out of his pocket and began to write the following: “If the sun forgets the earth; If the moon forgets the night; If feelings forget their emotions; And, if the heart forgets to pump; I’ll surely not forget you – I promise!”  Wow.  At that point, I really struggled to keep my composure.  I felt like crying.  But, in the end, it proved something else to me, too – Iraqis are just as human as the rest of us.  Why this war?

Be

Alive

Being alive!   Feeding the birds...   Walking around...   Sitting at a bench...   Watching people...   Being peaceful!           1, 2, 3

Wikipedia

Search results